OS is Hiring a Director!
September 15, 2014 Posted in: Highlights
Outreach Strategies, LLC – Position Announcement
Director – Washington, DC
Outreach Strategies, LLC, a leading communications and public affairs firm focused on creating positive environmental and social change, is hiring for the position of Director in our Washington office. Our new team member will be a strategic thinker, strong writer and project manager who knows how to run winning issue-advocacy campaigns at the state and federal levels.
OS is a mission-driven communications and public affairs firm that designs and implements best-in-class advocacy programs that achieve meaningful results on large-scale environmental, natural resources and social justice challenges. Our clients are some of the most well-respected and best-known organizations and companies in the world and we take great pride in partnering with them on some of the highest profile campaigns anywhere. Operating at the intersection of business strategy, policy impacts and public communication, we bring decades of experience to developing and executing winning communications, corporate engagement and cause-marketing strategies that garner significant results and routinely exceed clients’ expectations.
The Director is a key position at OS and this results-driven individual will provide day-to-day oversight of assigned accounts, intersect directly with high-profile clients, provide high-level strategic counsel to them and play a lead role in new business development activities. Ideal candidates will have expertise in climate, energy and sustainability issues, relationships with national reporters and editors and experience working in a public relations agency.
Essential Roles and Responsibilities
- Design and help run strategic planning, messaging and advocacy campaign planning meetings for individual clients, coalitions and grassroots organizations
- Write compelling strategy documents, communication plans, talking points, message maps, memos and other client-ready materials
- Write and oversee the development of op-eds, letters-to-the-editor, press releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, digital assets, press kits, media lists and pitch plans
- Pitch national, state, trade and specialty media outlets on a routine basis
- Measure and analyze the results of client campaigns and outreach activities
- Manage client budgets and project work plans, including hours and tasks
- Identify new business opportunities, write proposals and lead pitch teams
- Participate in regular team meetings and contribute to OS organizational goals
Essential Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, advertising or other applicable field, or demonstrated equivalent experience
- Seven-ten years experience in issue advocacy communications or demonstrated equivalent experience, with preference for political, advocacy and/or agency experience (please describe this experience in your cover letter)
- Three+ years experience demonstrated project management experience and staff management (please describe this experience in your cover letter), such as:
- Understanding of client billing processes, client contracts and client service
- Ability to manage accounts and budgets
- Ability to mentor staff and improve team performance
- Excellent political savvy, media instincts, and knowledge of print, broadcast and digital media and information channels
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing, with internal and external audiences
- Demonstrated writing skills (please submit three recent samples with your resume and cover letter)
- Demonstrated resourcefulness and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Sense of humor and team-oriented approach to your work
Compensation and Benefits
OS offers a competitive benefits package including health care and retirement plan contributions. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples (one persuasive piece, one strategy document and one sample of your choice) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your salary requirements in your cover letter.